Craig Thibodeau's Art Deco entry table, featuring a pau ferro veneer exterior, a quilted maple veneer top bordered with Gabon ebony inlay and 15 different types of wood veneer for the trompe l’oeil interior, took top honors in the 2013 Veneer Tech Craftsman's Challenge.
Thibodeau, of CT Fine Furniture in San Diego, won $3,000 in the ninth annual design competition recognizing excellence in veneer woodworking. The winners were announced during the AWFS fair in Las Vegas.
Category winners, each receiving $1,000, were:
• Architectural Woodworking – Savante Wine Cellars in Denver
• Cabinetry – Jarrett Bay Boatworks in Beaufort, N.C.
• Furniture – Studio of Michael P. McDunn in Greenville, S.C.
• Specialty Items – Colin Smith of Long Beach, Calif.
• Student Design – Matthew Stoltz of the College of the Redwoods in San Francisco
To view the winning pieces, visit www.veneertech.com.