The National Kitchen & Bath Association recently recognized kitchen and bath design students with the 2011 NKBA Outstanding Student awards, while also presenting 11 NKBA-accredited colleges with the 2010 Excellence in Education awards.
In the Excellence in Education category, each program submitted two student bath design projects, which were judged using the NKBA planning guidelines and NKBA graphic and presentation standards. Each of the winning schools met the NKBA’s challenging goal of earning an average score of at least 93 out of a possible 100 on its two student designs.
The winning schools and their kitchen and bath design program coordinators are:
• Alexandria Technical Community College in Alexandria, Minn. (Betty Ravnik, CMKBD)
• Baker College in Auburn Hills, Mich. (Ann Jacob)
• Boston Architectural College in Boston (Jane Toland)
• Brigham Young University in Rexburg Idaho (Wendy Harris, CKE)
• East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C. (Dr. Katherine Swank)
• Lakeland College in Vermillion, Alberta (Cynthia Plant)
• Murray State University in Murray, Ky. (Cynthia Tubbs)
• San Diego Mesa College in San Diego (Mimi Moore)
• Seminole State College of Florida in Heathrow, Fla. (Cheryl Knodel)
• University of Georgia in Athens, Ga. (Jaya Rose)
• West Valley College in Saratoga, Calif. (Diane Hurd)
Additionally, the NKBA recognized the top kitchen and bath design students at NKBA-accredited colleges across North America by rewarding top students with a $100 scholarship. More than 30 schools with kitchen and bath design programs accredited by the NKBA each selected a student to honor this year.
The top design students are:
Lisa Godwin, Lakeland College; Elizabeth Enberg, St. Louis, Community College; Clarisse McCann, Brigham Young University; Alexandra N. Williams, Virginia Tech; Herman McElyea, Long Star College; Yi Zhang, Weber State University; Patricia Rozonkiewiecz, College of DuPage; Kelsey Warren, Alexandria Technical & Community College; Denise Sacks, Triton College; Robyn Marie Otter, Indiana State University; Beth Simmons, Arapahoe Community College; Shelley Boatwright Johnson, University of North Alabama; Kristin Donnelly, University of Nebraska at Kearney
Melissa Pochinskas, Murray State; Pongtorn Getsom, Art Institute of Philadelphia; Anita R. Johnson, Century College; Tamara McHatton, Brevard Community College; Troy McCartney, Portland Community College; Marisela McClelland, San Diego Mesa College; Jessica Schafer-Jankoviak, Baker College of Clinton Twp.; Meredith Holley, Canada College; Keith Tallant, Portland Community College; Tonya Dean, Baker College of Auburn; Shannon Schaeffer, Art Institute of Las Vegas; and Darcy Maddox, Sullivan College of Technology & Design.