That table lamination project is now history. While I had my doubts, it came out pretty nice. Of course, there were some ups and downs.
To recap, the project was to create and laminate a floating tabletop at my sister-in-law’s beach house in North Carolina, for which I had to bring every possible tool and supply I could conceivably need. My planning was based on a couple cell phone photos, plus my own memory of that table, which, because I’m not a beach person, I’d not seen personally in years. Once there, some things predictably went wrong. But some went very right.
• The table wasn’t 1-1/2" thick as I was led to believe, so the bolts I took where too long.
• I made a miscalculation in estimating the width of trim I cut prior to the trip.
• The stain I took – again, based on photos – wasn’t even close.
• No matter what I did to accommodate, there just wasn’t enough working light.
• The perpendicular supports of the table’s trestle-style base were long enough that I could anchor the floating top directly to them with screws – no worries about seasonal expansion/contraction.
• A local general store, amazingly, had wood stain in the perfect shade.
• The thinner-than-I-though table had wider trim. Once removed, the cut-to-width trim I brought (and thought was too narrow) worked perfectly.
• A wild card: Hurricane Michael – downgraded to tropical storm – did not track right over us as was predicted, but instead tracked a good 50 miles north, so we never lost power
All in all, the table came out fine. The laminate I chose was a perfect match for the kitchen, the stain I found locally worked great, and the table looks better than it has in decades. And, I get brownie points with the in-laws.