When you make/fix/create/solve something, you want it to last as long as possible, right? Sometimes, that’s not always the best idea.
With everything now in its designated place, I can finally design and install a full-shop dust collection system. Till now, my dust collection has mostly been basic spot-collection at my table saw and the broom-and-vacuum variety everywhere else.
When I dismantled my old shop before moving, I took almost everything dust-related with me. There was some ducting inside built-in cabinets I left behind, but anything accessible was disconnected and moved, with the idea that I’d just reuse and add to it here. But, as I inventory everything I realize that I rather permanently installed some of the fittings with PVC cement.
Not sure why I did that. Duct tape – as its current name implies* – is great for connecting and sealing ducts. Maybe not for whole-house HVAC applications, but for dust collection it’s fine. Better than fine, in fact – it seals perfectly, and it’s undoable. Unlike PVC cement.
I did use duct tape for a bit more than half the connections, and I’ve easily separated all those. The ones I glued I may be able to salvage with careful cutting, but chances are good that I’ll have to replace some of them.
Lesson learned, and the expense of replacing fittings I can’t separate and reuse should help to reinforce the lesson.
* Yepper, we currently call it duct tape because that’s what it’s used for most of the time. However, it wasn’t developed for ductwork at all, but rather general usage in wet conditions. In fact, the original name was “duck” tape, for it’s waterproof abilities.